Difference Between Management and Administration; Similarity
Similarities & Differences Between Administration and Management; a Great Comparison of Both
This article will discuss the difference between management and administration. First of all, we say that management is the skill of accomplishing others’ work. It does not reflect accurately the same as administration. Rather than, it indicates a process of administering in the organization. Administration vs management is a significant point because most of the management rules walk under the administration. Although making the difference between administration and management is so severe, we try to differ that they are not the same topic completely. Let’s start our discussion about Management vs Administration.
Read more: Difference between Cabinet and Cabinet Divisions/Council of Ministers
What is Management?
Management is an act of managing people. Their work is to achieve a common goal by using the resources. For better workflow needs a suitable environment. It creates that’s an opportunity. As a result, subordinates and their manager do the work together to reach the objective. Management is a group of people. They use their talent and skills to complete organizational tasks. So, we can say that it consists of the following features. Such as:-
- Functional initiative
- Documental discipline,
- Systematic process,
- And much more.
Management performs organizing, planning, coordination, motivating, controlling, decision making, and leading. It contains the 5M features of the organization. It is also called the 5M’s Model of management. There are mentioned the 5M’s full form. Such as:-
- 1st M = Men (Peoples)
- 2nd M = Machines (Tools or equipments)
- 3th M = Medium or Measurementals (Inspection & environment)
- 4th M = Mission (Purpose)
- 5th M = Management (Leadership)
It is a result-oriented action, which focuses on attaining the wanted output. Someone includes three extra, additionally. So, it may also call the 8M Model. Such as Material, Method or Mother nature, and Maintenance.
Link: Difference between Development Administration & Traditional Public Administration
What is Administration?
A systematic process of administering is the administration. If we have to give an example, we can provide a huge amount of samples. Such as the management of a business organization, an educational institution, school, college, university, government office, or any non-profit making organization. POSDCORB is the primary function of administration. Luther Gulick gave it. Besides these, there are more functions. For example:-
- Formation of policies, plans, and procedures
- Setting up of objectives and goals.
- Implementing rules and regulations, etc.
Within the management of the organization functions, the administration lays down the fundamental framework of an organization.
Bureaucratic is of an administrative nature. We can explain it another way. Such as administration is a top-level authorized. It may be an owner, partner, and something else. However, they want to return their investment through profits.
Link: Difference Between Private and Public Administration
Difference between Management and Administration:
There is mentioned a chart or table for better understand, which shows the difference between management and administration or Administration vs Management. After this chart, you may be clear about this comparison. It has been presented with three columns. However, let’s read the chart carefully to understand the comparison of both.
|Sense||A process that organizes by a group.||Classes.|
|Authorization||Higher-level||Lower and Mid-level|
|Regarded with||Making Policy||Policy utilization|
|Operational Zone||Fully controlled over the activities||Working out under the administration|
|Settles||Explained when and what does it||Explained how and who does it.|
|Relevant||Service-oriented institution||Profit-oriented organizations|
|Capacity||Determinative and Parliamentary||Ruling and Executive|
|Concentration||Ensured perfect shared from existing resources||Work management|
|Enacts||Profits by increasing investment are the owner’s motive.||Payment is the main motive of employees.|
|Consistency||Objectives and policies||Actions and plans|
|Managing Thought||Maximum utilization of resources||Engaging with only people and their own work|
Read more: Difference between Qualitative Research and Quantitative Research
Administration vs Management:
There are mentioned some points about the difference between management and administration. These points are not new things. It is just more explanation about what is included in the table (above). After reading this, you can understand or be clear about the administration vs management. Such as:
- Meaning: Although administration and management are both processes, they are different in a sense. Administration deal with a group of people. On the other hand, Management dealt with mere people. This way, we can differ from each other.
- Authority: If you discuss “management vs administration,” you have to understand the hierarchy. Hierarch is a crucial concept in the studies of both. Wherein administration belongs to a higher level, as well as management belongs to low and middle levels.
- Attention: After formulating a suitable policy, that has to implement. These important works lead by respectively administration and management.
- Operation: If we want to differ both from the operational perspective, we can say with controlling. All works of administration are controlled. Additionally, management does it under the administration.
- Personality: The administrator plays a vital role in administering. On the other hand, the manager does the same thing to accelerate management. This is the key personal difference between administration and management.
- Application: Administration is a service-oriented initiative. At the same time, management is a profit-oriented operation.
- Enactment: In administration, the owner tries to increase investment. On the other hand, payment is the only target for employees in management.
- Consistency: Plans and actions include in management, whereby Policies and objectives include in administration.
- Managing Thought: Administration always tries to use the maximum utilization of resources. Whereas management engages with only people and their own work.
- Style: The management style can change when a leader or manager is removed or installed from an organization. If so many management policies or procedures generate, the style of administration may be changed.
Link: Strategic Management – Developing Vision Statements
Similarities between Management and Administration:
According to George Robert Terry, Chester Irving Barnard, Harold D. (Howdy) Koontz, and Cyril J. O’Donnell, etc. do not distinguish between ‘administration’ and ‘management’. They think these two terms carry the same meaning, although their application is different.
Management and administration deal with the different peoples. Both are performed by any level of the hierarchy, for example, top-level, middle-level, and lower-level. As much as managers at the top level work to make their activities more effective, lower-level managers work harder to implement them. In fact, management can be operative management and administrative management.
The following infographic tries to explain management and administration according to this approach.
Topics Management and administration both deal directly with primary issues such as planning, regulation, collaboration, and organization. As mentioned earlier, the main difference between them is in use only. For example, the term ‘administration’ is used in general government agencies. On the other hand, the term ‘management’ is used in the private sector or business organization. Of course, people in different sectors do not usually work with different functions.
However, an in-depth analysis reveals that the relative importance of these functions varies from time to time at different stages. Whenever a policy is set at a higher level, it becomes effective and comes to a lower level. If you don’t think materially, there is no obstacle to calling formulation or execution is called management or administration. In many cases today, the debate between ‘management’ and ‘administration’ is almost non-existent, as management organizations do not differ much in implementing different measures among themselves.
Key Similarities between Management and Administration:
To understand the issue more clearly, some important similarities between management and administration are presented below in the form of points. Such as
- Management and administration, both practice through expert personnel to accomplish the goals. For newbies, these two things are not suitable.
- Both things are required to implement in the organization for a long time to get effective results. These two important things are essential in both.
- Normally management forms with administration tasks. At the same time, administration work with management. Here important thing is that a manager needs to have both skills like management and administration.
- Through proper and particular techniques or tricks and tips, both are running. Although each one application process is different, initiatives are almost the same.
- Management and administration must acquire some things to come to an end. Whether administered or managed, the goal is to deliver the expected results.
- Administration and management, both are available in the new public management models (NPM).
- These two systematic processes perform in the all levels of hierarchy like top-level, middle level, and lower level.
- Both directly involve organizing, planning, and controlling. These are the basic functions of management and administration. In public administration, it is called POSDCORB.
- We know that administration deals with government and management deal with business or non-government. Yet, both are stood in the same functionalities.
Summary of the Topic:
This was our discussion on the difference between management and administration or Administration vs Management. Both are specific terms. You would have noticed. A manager performs both functional activities and administrative. Although the managers are working on the top level and say to be part of the administration, the managers working on the lower or middle level signify management. So, we can determine that the administration is above management.
Fantastic issues altogethеr, you just gaineԁ a brаnd new reader. What woulԁ you suɡgest about your submit thаt you simply made a few days in the past? Any sure?
Plz describe briefly
We described the difference between management and administration through three part. One detail with point out; another one key phrases with less described than the first one and furthermore with a table in a nutshell. You can choose one from these which is suitable for you.
You should check the table and key points out section to understand quickly. In table and key points out sections are elaborized shortly. Thanks Priyanka!
The notes are fabulous. Great work