The administration is the act of effectively managing the affairs of a business-related organization or state. It indicates the finest use of people, material, and other properties of the organization to accomplish the company’s final goal. The administration can do either by private individuals or public officials. Public administration is a branch of social science that works with service-oriented. In contrast, private administration works with business-oriented. However, there are described the difference between private and public administration.
Table of Contents
- 1 Difference Between Private and Public Administration:
- 2 Definition of Private Administration:
- 3 Definition of Public Administration:
- 4 Difference Between Private and Public Administration Chart:
- 5 Key Difference Between Private and Public Administration:
- 6 Similarities Between Public and Private Administration:
- 7 Conclusion:
Difference Between Private and Public Administration:
According to Paul Henson Appleby (he was an important American theorist of public administration in democracies.), private administration differs from public administration, in three important perspectives, as like
- Political character
- Impact and consideration on public accountability
- Breadth of scope
Josiah Stamp (First Baron Stamp), goes one step further and identifies four aspects of the difference. He brings up three more different issues, keeping Paul H. Appleby’s public responsibility or public accountability in check. These are-
- Principle of uniformity
- Principle of service motive
- Principle of external financial control
In different explanations of Herbert Alexander Simon (he was an American political scientist), has found that the difference between private and public administration has coded on the viewpoint of the following things. Such as-
- Popular belief vs. Imagination
- Bureaucratic vs. Business
- Political vs. Apolitical
- Red tape vs. Free of it.
From Guru Peter Ferdinand Drucker (he was an Austrian-American management consultant, educator, and author), we can know that the difference has arisen on the following intentions. Such as:-
- Service intuition vs. Business intuition
- Differed purposes to serve, with different needs, values, and objectives
- Differed kind of contribution to the society as well
- The way the performance and results are measured.
Here an article describes helping you understand the denotation and differences between private and public administration.
Definition of Private Administration:
Private Administration is the management and organization of private business enterprises. This is an administrative purpose carried out by private individuals, a team, or a group to profit. It is a business activity that is non-political in a landscape. It includes a collection of doings like planning, organizing, coordinating, implementing, and controlling programs and policies, performed by the organization’s management.
Private administration is such an administrative framework which is concerned the individuals, groups, enterprise, etc to generate a profit.
It works for the organization’s economic benefit, enchanting into account the concentration of employees and clients or partners as well of the concerned organization.
Definition of Public Administration:
Public Administration in the field of study is concerned with the systematic application of public policies and programs formulated by the state. It relates to the administrative functions carried out by the government. It focuses on providing services to the general public to ensure a good and safe life for people. Read the What is Public Administration and Its Definitions article for more details.
Woodrow Wilson is a father of public administration. In 1887, he first formally recognized it through a well-known article. That article’s name is The Study of Administration.
PA is the art and the science of management as applied to the affair of state. Dwight Waldo
The public administration covers several principles. These principles are known as POSDCORB. Their principles are: –
- Reporting etc.
In short, public administration is the non-political public bureaucracy that operates within a legal framework. It deals with the objectives of the government, public interest, and laws. All the government branches, i.e., legislative, judicial, and executive, as well as their relationship with each other, are covered in the public administration. It works on the principles of external financial control, uniformity, and service-oriented.
Difference Between Private and Public Administration Chart:
Through this table, will be given the details about the Private Administration vs. Public Administration. Such as:-
|Comparisons||Private Administration||Public Administration|
|Meaning||Management, Organization, and Operation of business enterprise.||Managing the resources of govt. Purpose achievement.|
|What is it?||Business activity||Political process|
|Operation||In non-govt. set up||In govt. set up|
|Accountability||To owners||To citizens|
|Revenue||Profits||Duties, taxes, fees, etc.|
Key Difference Between Private and Public Administration:
There are included a key difference between private and public administration. Such as: –
- The well-planned and systematic management of the state’s actions to accomplish the purposes established by the government, which is the Public Administration. The term private administration is the management, organization, and operation of the business enterprise’s actions.
- Private administration is a business activity. On the other hand, Public Administration is a political process.
- Private administration works in a structure other than the governmental setup, whereas Public administration works in a governmental setup.
- The private administration has an egalitarian approach. At the same time, Public administration follows a bureaucratic approach.
- private administration uses monopolistic decision-making. But in public administration is pluralistic.
- The revenue is produced from penalties, fees, taxes, duties, and other dues paid by the people in public administration, as opposed to private administration, where profits from operating happenings are the main source of revenue.
- Public administration is welfare-oriented; it works with a service motive. Conversely, private administration is profit-oriented.
- When it comes to accountability, public officials are accountable to the general public, unlike private administration, where the employees are accountable to the owners.
Similarities Between Public and Private Administration:
There are tried to give an explanation of the similarities between public and private administration through some important bullet points. Such as:-
- Both the business and government administration depends on planning, budget, delegation, organization, control, and other national strategies. Both use common skills such as account protection, file maintenance, etc.
- The policy of profit mods in modern times is not exclusive to the private administration. Profitmaking is now acceptable as a good motive for the industry in the public sector. In addition, a private organization has also created a sense of community service. They understand that they too have a broad responsibility in society.
- The practice of private organizations in personnel management has been greatly influenced by the practice of government organizations. In recent years, public organizations have also tried to install private business techniques and policies. For example, government corporations designed to conduct commercial operations and government-owned economic primarily model the concerns of private businesses. They are similar to the private organizations of nature.
- In modern times, private administration concerns are also legal barriers. The government is imposing a lot of control over business entities through tax, licensing policies, and surveillance as a result, they were not as independent as before.
After discussing the difference between private and public administration, private administration is a business procedure, henceforward careful as business administration. On the contrary, public administration runs in a governmental setting, which is why it is also known as government administration. Both of them play a crucial role in contributing to the development of society in different ways. Furthermore, the measurement of progress, results, and performance thereof can do using different procedures.