POSDCORB Steps and Importance with Example
In the field of Public Administration and Management, POSDCORB broadly uses as the classical view of Organizational theory. It appeared most conspicuously in a 1937 paper by Luther Gulick and Lyndall Urwick. However, he first showed the concept in 1935. Primarily, POSDCORB proposed in an exertion to develop public service professionals.
A memo prepared while he was a member of the Brownlow Committee, in his piece “Notes on the Theory of Organization”. Luther Gulick asked verbally “What is the work of the chief executive? and What does he do?” POSDCORB is the answer of these questions, for example, “considered to call devotion to the numerous functional elements of the work of a chief executive because ‘management’ and ‘administration’ have lost all exact content.” For instance, according to Gulick, the elements are:
P = Planning
O = Organizing
S = Staffing
D = Directing
CO = Co-ordinating
R = Reporting
B = Budgeting
Steps of POSDCORB:
This really refers to the many steps or phases involved in a distinctive administrative process. The POSDCORB can elucidate in detail . Such as:
- Planning: Planning refers to the establishment a broad draft of the work. It is to accomplish and the process incorporated to implement them.
- Organizing: Organizing involves formally defining, synchronizing and classifying the various subdivisions or sub-processes of the work to do.
- Staffing: Staffing involves selecting and recruiting the correct applicants for the job. And facilitates their training and orientation while sustaining a promising work environment.
- Directing: Directing entails delegating structured and decision-making instructions and orders to accomplish them.
- Coordinating: Coordinating fundamentally refers to scoring and interspersing the many mechanisms of the work.
- Reporting: Reporting contains frequently updating the superior about the improvement or the work-related doings. The information distribution can be through inspection or records.
- Budgeting: Budgeting comprises of all the happenings that under Accounting, Auditing Control and Fiscal Planning.
Criticisms of POSDCORB:
Early 1938, the scholar began giving the impression in the field of Public Administration thought-provoking the legitimacy of POSDCORB. The notion that there could even be an inflexible set of principles in administration. Protuberant Public Administration scholars such as Herbert Alexander Simon, Robert Dahl, and Dwight Waldo. They published articles and books criticizing POSDCORB and the concept of the principle in 1946 & 1947. Among other criticisms, Herbert Alexander Simon statuses that its values are a simplification of administration. Herbert Alexander Simon’s criticisms mostly center around the unity of command and span of control. Stating that every so often it is compulsory for a subordinate to take directives or guidance from more than one cause, as well as Luther Gulick’s specialization concepts. Other disapprovals of Simon intricate that there was a lack of indication for the POSDCORB. Yet others claim that organizations are full of diversity and are thought-provoking to control.
Strength of POSDCORB:
It usually suits into the Classical Management movement, categorizing as a component of scientific management. POSDCORB principles were instrumental in emphasizing the theory of span of control. Or These were restrictions on the number of people one administrator could administrate, in addition to the unity of command to the grounds of public administration and management.
The strengths of POSDCORB, it also call 14 principles of management. Such as:
- Division of Work
- Authority and Responsibility
- Unity of Command
- Unity of Direction
- Subordination of Individual Interest to General Interest
- Remuneration of Personnel
- Scalar Chain
- Stability of Tenure of Personnel
- Esprit de Corps
Importance of POSDCORB:
Every single business desires to have a methodical framework in confirming. There is extreme output, least expenditure, and higher boundaries. It is a technique in management where staff and personnel can accomplish in a way. It would advantageous for a business. These notion benefits organizations to break down the effort into numerous procedures and support in receiving supreme value out to each staff. These phases and steps of these principles support the Human Resource team to deliver to the desires of a business.
Example of POSDCORB:
Contemplate a multinational opening an exercise concerning a decent number of staffs in the staff. As per POSDCORB, the planning phase would be doing a thorough investigation of the number of individuals needed, work type, team size etc. Staffing and organizing phases would the Human Resource department. These create a list of individuals i.e. superintendents and minions who would execute this role. One this is completed, as per POSDCORB guiding would be giving directions and warranting implementation of the strategy as per the obligation. To safeguard an improved two-way communication, managing plays a prime role. On one occasion all this completed, the different ways of reporting do which confirms the responsibility and accountability of the team. Lastly, the budget to be distributed is considered. In this manner, it can use for good management.
However, this accomplishes the explanation of POSDCORB along with its outline. In his 2016 portion “POSDCORB Instantiations,” consultant Paul Chalekian recommended an experiential suggestion for it concerning the acceptance of establishments and element support.